Fiji is an archipelago of more than 330 islands, of which 110 are permanently inhabited, and more than 500 islets, amounting to a total land area of about 18,300 square kilometres.
The majority of Fiji’s islands were formed through volcanic activity starting around 150 million years ago.
Fiji has been inhabited since the second millennium BC, and was settled first by Austronesians and later by Melanesians, with some Polynesian influences. Europeans visited Fiji from the 17th century, and, after a brief period as an independent kingdom, the British established the Colony of Fiji in 1874.
Fiji was a Crown colony until 1970, when it gained independence as a Commonwealth realm. A republic was declared in 1987, following a series of coups d’état.
Fijians first impressed themselves on European consciousness through the writings of the members of the expeditions of Cook who met them in Tonga. They were described as formidable warriors and ferocious cannibals, builders of the finest vessels in the Pacific, but not great sailors.
They inspired awe amongst the Tongans, and all their Manufactures, especially bark cloth and clubs, were highly valued and much in demand.
Pottery art from Fijian towns shows that Fiji was settled before or around 3500 to 1000 BC, although the question of Pacific migration still lingers.
The population of Fiji is mostly made up of native Fijians, who are Melanesians (54.3%), although many also have Polynesian ancestry, and Indo-Fijians (38.1%), descendants of Indian contract labourers brought to the islands by the British colonial powers in the 19th century.
- 19,113 hits
- Closing the loop 14/11/2016
- Fiji 14/11/2016
- Tonga 10/10/2016
- Palmerston – Cook Islands 10/10/2016
- Society Island – French Polynesia 10/10/2016
- Tuamotu Archipelago 25/06/2016
- Slides of Marquesas 25/06/2016
- Islas Marquesas 28/05/2016
- Ecuador to Marquesas 26/05/2016
- Leaving South America 27/03/2016
- Argentina to Chile (TransAndean Highway) 03/03/2016
- Iguazu Falls 02/03/2016
- Antarctica 25/02/2016
- Looking back 05/12/2015
- Galapagos 06/05/2015
- Panama Canal – Colon to Balboa 17/04/2015
- Zip line in Panama 10/02/2015
- Cusco – Peru 07/12/2014
- Machu Picchu 25/11/2014
- Lima – Peru 22/11/2014
- Sailing to Panama 31/10/2014
- Colombia (Cartagena and Barranquilla) 29/10/2014
- Lost City – Colombia 13/10/2014
- Reflecting in the past 26/08/2014
- A bit of fun on wheels 25/08/2014
- Hot air ballooning 27/07/2014
- At Ocean World Marina 24/07/2014
- While in Perth 22/07/2014
- Puerto Plata to Santa Marta 21/07/2014
- Dominican Republic Noth Coast 11/07/2014
- Turks and Caicos 24/04/2014
- Bahamas 24/04/2014
- Mahi Mahi 24/04/2014
- Mexico 24/04/2014
- New Zealand South Island 22/12/2013
- New Zealand 20/12/2013
- Toronto in a flash 07/12/2013
- It is all about Turkeys (Thanksgiving in the U S of A) 30/11/2013
- Semuc Champey 13/10/2013
- Copan ruins – Honduras 08/10/2013
- Tikal 01/10/2013
- Antigua and Lake Atitlan 25/09/2013
- Guatemala (Part one) 05/06/2013
- End of my 2nd 30 year term and the beggining of the third 01/06/2013
- Cuba to Rio Dulce (Guatemala) 23/05/2013
- Cuba ( part 2 ) 18/05/2013
- Robbed by an ATM 27/04/2013
- The Caribbean (Revisited) 25/04/2013
- Cuba (Part One) 14/04/2013
- Ile a Vache (Haiti) 14/04/2013
More Photos click here